Friday, May 1, 2015
Thursday, January 29, 2015
Balingup Summer Long Table is little more than a week away, the (re)discovery of these images from lunch at Millbrook in March 2011 is a timely one. I remember being particularly impressed with that carrot centrepiece in the first shot.
Saturday, December 20, 2014
Thursday, December 18, 2014
I’ve been lucky enough to eat some great things in the line of duty this year. Here’s a dozen of the best (in a sort-of chronological order from latest to earliest, plus any relevant online links), starting in the top left corner and finishing in the bottom right.
- Impossibly fatty Geraldton yellowfin tuna belly nigiri at Miki’s Open Kitchen in Margaret River.
- Chase Kojima’s "tai-nori" uni sushi, as seen at the Sokyo sushi bar.
- Attica’s super-pretty (and super-delicious) broad bean flower, sheep’s milk yoghurt and pumpkin seed construct.
- The “sweet corn arrancini” at Torrisi Italian Specialties starring sweet corn, baby chives and a mochi made using Tamaki gold rice.
- Benu’s unbelievable lobster coral xiaolongbao.
- That brilliant smoked duck and barbecued cabbage one-two the crew at Momofuku Seiōbo were doing in the middle of the year.
- Thomas Lim’s scallop ceviche accessorised with fried Jerusalem artichoke and a sake vinaigrette (Goldie’s Los Angeles).
- All the Hainanese sticks at Shi Xiang Satay in Singapore’s wondrous Chinatown Food Complex.
- That legendary braised bone marrow you can enjoy at Lalla Rookh in Perth.
- The pork and bone marrow sate at Sate Plecing Arjuna in Denpasar.
- This year’s first taste of whitebait care of Chameleon, the in-house restaurant at the Intercontinental Wellington.
- The bargain-priced nasi Bali at Warung Liku.